Sunday 26 May 2013

Gathering House, PJ Old Town



Occupying a corner shop lot, this non-air conditioned restaurant has an interesting name – Gathering House.

I browsed through the menu  placed outside the outlet and decided to give it a try. I like the simple ambience , but what made me feel really at home were the marble topped table coupled with the marble stools. For the record, there are benches too, if you prefer not to sit on stools,

 
The waiter was friendly and when we said we didn’t know what to order, he recommended the day’s special which was nasi lemak.  Priced at RM11.90, this came with a huge serving of fragrant rice, rendang chicken drumstick, a few slices of cucumbers , a fried egg and of course some crunchy anchovies and peanuts. Overall, it was good.
 
 

Taufu fah – RM3 – I love its velvety smooth and light texture. Yummy!  Ice lemon tea (far left of photo) comes with the RM11.90 nasi lemak. It was a little too sour for my liking. Cold honey lemon (RM4.30) –perfect- neither too sweet nor tasteless.

This is tea served in what I call olden Chinese coffee shop cup and saucer. This came with the beef breakfast set.
 

Our beef breakfast set – Slightly pricey at RM16.90, this set consisted of tea and this  platter packed with delicious and nutritious toast, cheese, sunny side up, beef (which was a tad tough), baked beans, salad and some corn. Not bad!
 
 

Noodles with soup –RM6 each. I tried both and would say I prefer the kuay teow anytime. The soup was clear and the fish ball fluffy and elastic, as good fish balls should be. 

This is simply called crystal fish cake (RM5). I would say it had the right texture and flavour to satisfy my craving.

 
 
The highlight of our brunch was of course this unique bowl of strawberry with shaven ice (RM7.90). From where I sat, I could see that it was actually made by shaving a cylindrical block of strawberry flavoured ice in a shaving machine…well, I would say it’s a more advance version as compared to our traditional ice kacang machine. This one uses electricity and the job is done within seconds. The shaved ice is then topped with some ‘pearls’ (the type used in bubble tea) and of course some chopped strawberries.
 

 

Address:  35 Jalan 1/12

PJ Old Town

46000 Petaling Jaya

Cash terms only

 

No comments:

Post a Comment