Sunday 15 July 2012

Bangkok Sky Restaurant ,Baiyoke Sky Hotel Bangkok

84 floors, with the highest level serving as a revolving viewpoint  for us to have a bird’s eye view of Bangkok City, Baiyoke Sky Hotel is the tallest building in Bangkok.







The best way to enjoy this spectacular view is to first indulge in a  buffet offering a sumptuous spread of both Western and Asian cuisine on the 78th floor of the building and then proceed to the 84th floor where the revolving view point is located .


I was told that they serve both buffet lunch and dinner, and opted for the latter. I paid 650 Bahts for this wonderful experience as my ticket was pre-ordered from a local Thai agent who informed me that there are 3 sessions for dinner i.e starting at 7pm, 7.30pm and 8pm respectively. I guess this is done to avoid everyone arriving at the same time…and that I say is a very wise move to avoid any chaos.

I managed to obtain the 7.30pm slot as the earlier one was sold out. As I arrive at 7.20pm, I was informed by the staff on duty that I had to first go to Level 19 to get my voucher exchanged for the ‘real’ ticket. I noticed that the queue for buying tickets was as long as a train. Phew! Luckily mine has been pre-booked.

I took the lift to the 19th floor and within seconds was given my tickets. I then took the lift to Level 77 which housed the observation deck (the lifts don’t bring you to level 78, you have to walk up a flight of stairs from level 77). I found the lift rather slow as compared to the one in KL Tower. It actually displayed which floor you were on as the lift made its slow ascend.


Finally, I arrived at the buffet spread. Wow! I was in awe.




There was an entire section called seafood, where you can get mussels, an entire crab to yourself, prawns, scallops, fish, clams and lobsters. Having a penchant for seafood, my ultimate target was of course the lobsters.







They also serve Western food –steaks specially made for you when you order them, pasta – macaroni, spaghetti cooked in various styles – carbonara, marinara – you name it.





Salads, soups, fried food, etc..I was spoilt for choice.


Free flow of soft drinks are included too. That night they served Coke, Fanta and fruit juices such as orange and guava.



I tried the birds nest soup. Despite it being as hot as molten lava found in a volcano I quite liked the taste of the soup. There was also pig’s tail, chicken curry and so many others.


Otak-otak


Another section was Japanese food – sushi, sashimi, seaweed, kimchi (don’t ask me why they place kimchi under Japanese……but I know for sure the Koreans will be very upset when they see this!) and rice, was found here. If you prefer tempura and tepanyakki, don’t despair as they serve that too. Oh ya, their chawan mushi was steamed to mouth watering perfection and I loved it.












And to wash all this down the belly there was also a dessert section with fruits and bite seize Thai desserts as well as cakes and ice creams which you could choose to eat in a bowl or a cone.

After a very satisfying meal I made my way to the revolving view point  on Level 84. You literally gaze into the sky from this height and look down at other buildings out in the open as it is not covered. With the wind howling and as a slight drizzle began I absorbed in the beauty of Bangkok and said to myself that this city had indeed developed a lot since I last came here over a decade ago.



Address : 222 Soi Ratchaprarop 3, Rathaprarop Road, Ratchathewi,

Bangkok 10400 Thailand
Tel : 66 (0) 2656 3000, 66 (0) 2656 3456, Fax : 66 (0) 2656 3555, 66 (0) 2656 3666


International Buffet Lunch: 11am to 3 pm
International Buffet Dinner: 6pm to 10pm

2 comments:

  1. hello ,i'm cindy from malaysian country ,
    i wanna ask you about the thai agency who you buy for the baiyoke sky hotel international buffet ...may i know that ??
    i hope you will reply me ..
    thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi cindy, thanks for dropping by my blog. i can't remember the name of the agency but it is owned by a msian man with a thai wife -both of them speak english & mandarin. their counter is located on the ground floor of the bangkok city hotel on petchburi road (5 minutes walk from bts)

    ReplyDelete