Monday 5 March 2012

Makan Trip to Kuantan - Nasi Dagang Tanjung Api

Our food hunt this time around brings us to the intersection of Jalan Tanjung Api and Taman Gelora in Kuantan. It looks just like this:-





I'd like to call this place the nasi dagang stall  as it has no name. This place is very popular amongst the people of Kuantan. I am there early. It’s only 7+ in the morning and there are already so many people in the queue.  This place is famous for its nasi dagang and I was told that if you don’t want to miss out on the good nasi dagang, be there as early as you can.
I


 The stall keeper brings out a huge basin of nasi dagang to the cheer of the hungry crowd (including me!)  The guy in the front of the queue orders 9 packets of nasi dagang and the stall owner religiously packs them for him. A few minutes has passed by before it was the next person’s turn. 15 packets of nasi dagang was his order……. After some time it was my turn…I asked for ‘1 nasi lemak & 1 nasi dagang’ .

Here’s what the nasi dagang looked like. Please note that there is a difference between the Pahang version and the Kelantanese ones. The ones you find in Kelantan would have speckles of brown rice.


I would not say that the portion was generous as it costs RM2.50 a packet. The fish was really nice. I believe it was ikan tongkol. The gravy was not too hot and was indeed just perfect for me. I have to say that the glutinous rice was well cooked. It had the right amount of santan (coconut milk) and was very aromatic. You eat the rice with a splash of the fish curry.  Now I know why everyone in the queue that morning had ordered nasi dagang.


The nasi lemak - I think it’s suffice to say that I’ve tasted better ones!

This place also sells ‘roti manis’. I’ll try that some other time as today my tummy is already filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment