Thursday 5 December 2013

Seoul Korea Restaurant, Old Klang Road

I have always loved Korean food and when I was told about Seoul Korea Restaurant  and just how great their food was I could not contain my excitement. I picked up the phone immediately and made a reservation. I was told that the huge crowd on weekends is testimony of the quality of food served here. In fact I brought along some people who are regulars at this place and told me that they had and are willing to queue for over an hour just to get a table – well, I for one, will never do that!


To find this restaurant simply look out for a mamak restaurant called Jalal Yusof. It’s located right above. Well, if that isn’t a good enough indication, then look out for Shell in Taman Desa. Seoul Korea is located nearby i.e. opposite the Danau Idaman condo…that should do!

I walked in at 12 noon as per my reservation and was ushered into the private room which had 2 tables. As there were 8 of us, we ordered a few dishes to be shared.

Before it was 'mixed'

After it was 'mixed'
This is the dol-sot bibimbab (RM17)…that’s almost like our version of mixed rice. Not too bad, I would say. I love the gochujang sauce – i.e the hot pepper paste. This made the rice far more delicious!


The photo above shows kimchi ji qae (RM16). I was made to understand that this is a sort of stew…tasted and looked more like soup to me. For a first timer I would say it tasted a bit like assam soup….haha!  It is mildly spicy and will really make you eat lots of rice. Speaking of rice…I must warn you that rice here costs a whopping RM5 per bowl. I personally think that it is over-priced!


The banchan here looks and taste really good. Banchan refers to the side dishes and like most Korean restaurant, most of the side dishes here are refillable at no additional charges.

We also had kori gom tang (RM25) –ox tail soup. I found this very mild compared to our Malaysian soup ekor. It had huge chunks of ox tail in it.

The dae ji gal bi  (spicy Korean pork ribs) RM 25 and dae ji bulgogi (Korean pork) and also the  beef bul ga bi (RM59) are all cooked barbequed-style. Frankly I prefer it the authentic Korean style where the meat is brought to you in a big basin and you cook it yourself. Here, the waiter does all the cooking and he then serves it. I would say that I have very high standards as far as Korean BBQ is concerned and the ones I had at Seoul Korea that day did not impress me. The meat was tough and the sauce was not up to mark…well, perhaps the meat was not well marinated.

I may be back again someday, but in the meantime I will continue looking for authentic Korean food served the authentic Koren style, just like the ones I had in Korea.

Address : No. 1-1 (1st), Plaza Danau 2,
Jalan 4/109F, Taman Danau Desa,
58100 Kuala Lumpur.


Tel : 03 7982 4607

Opening hours :
 Mondays –closed, but when a public holiday falls on Monday, then they are open
Tues- Sun:
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Master and Visa accepted

No comments:

Post a Comment