Tuesday 7 August 2012

Da Ban Chinese Restaurant 大班中國風味館, Penang


Located on Jalan Zainal Abidin and within walking distance to lots of eateries, Da Ban is often ‘overshadowed’. What I mean by this is that the other eateries are mostly much larger hawker centres  which are more easily spotted by anyone looking for a place to eat whereas Da Ban, famed for Szechuan cuisine and steamboat  is located on a quieter road.








I was at Da Ban as I have been longing to come back since my last visit 2 years back which have indeed made a lasting impression.

With a gold and black signage and red lanterns hanging down, I would say Da Ban looks quite ‘pretty’ from the outside. When you walk in, you will walk past a bridge in the restaurant and see some fish swimming in the aquariums on your right.

The interior is pleasing and I am overwhelmed with a sense of serenity as I walk in to a place that is nicely decorated with bamboo and traditional Chinese furniture. Soft music in the background can be heard as we were ushered to our table.


Appetisers  are served immediately. We had lotus roots which I found to be a tad spicy and some shrimps.

I ordered honey dew juice (RM5) which looked like milk with lots of foam. Well, if the looks of the drink was a let down, I must say the taste was definitely not so. I loved the honey dew juice - it was very satisfying and refreshing.


This is casserole ginseng chicken soup. With a hefty price tag of RM38 this soup was worth every sen. An entire ginseng is stuffed into the chicken and boiled – the end result was 3 bowls of wholesome, nutritious and truly scrumptious soup.





This is steamed ladies fingers (RM9.90) – the ladies fingers are steamed and garnished with  minced pork cooked in red rice wine. I never in my wildest imagination ever thought that the tastes of ladies fingers and red rice wine could go so well together!



Siganture tofu (RM12) – deep fried tofu, crispy and crunchy on the outside yet soft inside is what this dish is all about. When dipped into  chilli sauce, the tofu was simply tantalizing.






Address: 84 Jalan Zainal Abidin
10400 Georgetown
Penang


Tel: 04-2272777

Opening Hours: 6pm – 4am

Mastercard & Visa accepted


No comments:

Post a Comment