Wednesday 10 July 2013

Simply Nyonya Café, USJ 10


On both sides of the walls are pictures of various places of interest in Malacca such as the A Famosa and  the Stadthuys. As I walked in it gave me the impression that I had travelled all the way to Malacca. Music was playing in the background….and as I listen closely, I couldn’t resist myself from joining in the singing…they were playing lots of songs from yester-years.












We ordered our food and whilst waiting for food to arrive we tried out some nyonya kuih which were on sale. I was told that all kuih are made by the owner and as such are fresh. I tried the kuih talam and sago (RM2) as well as the yam cake (RM3.80). All were so yummy that we ordered some to be brought home for supper.








This is longan drink (RM5) which tasted alright.



The one drink on the menu that caught my attention was this drink called ayer longkang literally translated by yours truly as drain water! It costs RM4.50. It was tangy and had some black jelly in it as well as an asam boi. I don’t know what the main ingredient is but my guess is umbra.



Chicken pongteh (RM15) – this is the nyonya version of chicken and potato stew, a dish which I never fail to order in a Nyonya joint. Chicken is cooked with fermented soy bean sauce and gula Melaka. I love this dish as it always gives me a homey feeling.



Otak-otak (RM13) – this version is not spicy….well, suffice to say that I prefer the extra spicy version!




Sambal petai udang (RM20) – great dish. It was definitely spicy enough for me. The prawns were fresh and this was indeed a dish I enjoyed.




Chicken ball soup (RM13) – nothing spectacular,it was alright.




Kacang botol (RM13) – with sufficient chillies this was another dish that we savoured with great enthusiasm.





This is called Little Japs (RM15) which was a non spicy Japanese tofu dish. The gravy was delicious and the kids loved it.




Taugeh with salted fish (RM15) – I’ve never been a fan of salted fish, so I gave this dish a miss. But the people who tasted this loved it so much that they still talked about it on the drive home.



And if you are wondering whether we'll be back, the answer is a resounding YES. I simply adore the ambience and the food there. What I miss now, as I write is of course the kuih.

Address : 38 Jalan USJ 10/1B

47620 Subang Jaya

GPS Coordinates : N 03° 2.965'  E 101° 35.082

Opening hours : 11am to 10pm

Tel : +603 8011 3509

Mastercard & Visa accepted for a minimum transaction  of RM50

 

No comments:

Post a Comment