Friday 29 June 2012

Hua Yu Authentic Chinese Food, Sunway Mentari







I was driving along Sunway Mentari and chanced upon this place. What attracted me were the wooden benches placed outside this corner lot restaurant. The potted plants and red lanterns grabbed my attention too.





At 12 noon on a very hot afternoon, the place was virtually empty, except for a few table occupied by their staff, having a quick lunch before the customers come in.

I love the ambience in this restaurant. Firstly it helped me escaped from the sun’s scorching hot ray – there was air conditioning and the fans were spinning fast. There was also the sound of water from the tiny water fountain giving me a sense of tranquility.


We ordered our drinks. I must commend them for the organic soya bean (RM2.30). What you get is a glass of soya bean and a special dispenser with sugar i.e you put in the amount of sugar (syrup) that suits you. I personally find this a plus point as many restaurants serve drinks which are way toooooo sweet for me.

This is the 100% watermelon juice. I find the price of RM4.50 very justifiable as you are served with 100% pure juice.


Dongpo pork with mantou (steamed buns) –RM38. I heaved a sigh of relief when this dish was served –reason being it had more lean meat than fat in it. Taste wise –gratifying.

Sauteed sweet corn with pine nuts (RM16.80). Corn is sweet, green peas are often starchy whereas pine nuts have a bitter, metallic taste. The outcome of this combination gives a felicitous combination of flavours.



Lion’s head stewed meatballs (RM32) –sounds interesting? This ‘alluring’ name actually refers to oversized pork balls representing a lion and is often served with green vegetables representing the lion’s mane. I like this dish a lot as the finely minced pork was easy to eat. Inside the meatball …you will find a gem – salted egg yoke. I found this truly astounding.

The inside of the lion head

Egg custard with fish (RM36) –well, I think the Chinese name describes this dish better i.e fresh fish steamed with eggs. Yeah, that’s what this dish is all about. The fish was de-boned and cut into thin slices making eating  effortless. The fish was caught from the aquarium in the restaurant and was thus very fresh. The steamed egg had a soft, silky texture that I enjoyed.



Braised spare ribs with potato and long beans (RM18.80). This dish was moderate. I found it slightly oily.



Overall I'll say I had a gratifying meal.

Address : No 12-G Jalan PJS8/10

Dataran Mentari

Bandar Sunway

46150 Petaling Jaya

Tel : +603 56121180

Mastercard & Visa accepted

Opens 11am to 11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment