Wednesday 25 September 2013

Cungdinh Vietnamese Restaurant, Jalan Doraisamy


This is a fine dining restaurant, serving cuisine from the Hue province in Vietnam. To enter, you need to walk across a ‘bridge’ and once I was at the entrance proper, I couldn’t but feel a sense of warm welcome.

The ambience is pleasing with soft Vietnamese music in the background. Vern, the  friendly owner gives me a menu that is thick and heavy. I jokingly said that the menu can kill and she informed me that was because they have about 100 varieties.

I ordered hue rice cake (RM29.80 for 6) , which looked like this. Placed in a tiny plate , which is more aptly labelled as a saucer, you first need to use your spoon and make a complete circle, thereafter cut the rice cake into 4 equal portions, pour some spicy sauce on top –and there you have a ready to eat hue rice cake. Well, the sauce lived up to its name –spicy!  But how should I describe the taste of the rice cake..well, in a nutshell it tasted like chee cheong fun, but of course with a smoother texture.
 
 

I also ordered a set meal –Set number 6  (RM22) consisted of an appetiser, my main course of coconut rice, coffee and dessert. For my post today I shall only cover the appetiser and the coconut rice.

The appetiser was huge – it had fried spring roll, a fresh spring roll, pickled prawns and some shredded chicken salad. I love the minty taste of the fresh spring roll and the springy texture of the spring roll skin. The pickled prawn was a tad sour for my liking, but I really enjoyed the salad which was  slightly tangy and zesty.
 
 

My main course – coconut rice. It looked plain and boring, but don’t be fooled by its looks. I must admit I was a little let down because I had the expectation that the coconut rice should naturally be served in a coconut. Putting my disappointment aside, I realised that my senses were definitely tickled by the aromatic plate of rice placed in front of me. Fried with coconut milk and some prawns the rice was absolutely delicious. I polished it clean within minutes!
 

 

Address : 36-38-40 Jalan Doraisamy

Asian Heritage Row, Kuala Lumpur.

Tel : +603 2692 2288

Opening hours : 12-4pm, 6pm-12am

Mastercard and Visa accepted

No comments:

Post a Comment