Sunday 23 September 2012

Restoran Sri Karak, PJ New Town




If you grew up travelling along the coastal roads (yeah, there was no East-Coast Highway back then) to the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia from Kuala Lumpur and back, you would had definitely made a pit stop (defined as lunch break, snack break or toilet break) along Jalan Besar, or to be more precise at Yik Kee Restaurant, Karak.




As the years went by, the East Coast Highway was built and you no longer need to go through Karak town in order to get to the East Coast. Thank God, Yik Kee had the foresight to open several other branches. There’s one in Gohtong Jaya and also one in PJ New Town known as Sri Karak, famed for its durian products.


For those who are not familiar with PJ Old Town, look out for Ambank. Behind Ambank is RHB Bank. Sri Karak is on the same shoplots as RHB Bank and also MIB.

For old times sake, I decided to pay a visit to Sri Karak. I remember the exotic food I used to have as a child during my long journey to and fro the East Coast. A look at the menu tells me that this is a halal restaurant and any hope of eating what I used to (I was thinking of the nice pigeon soup!)  was all gone.

I ordered some food and walked over to the cake section. The aromatic cakes were very tempting and so I ordered a slice of marble cake (RM1.40) and bought a kaya swiss roll (RM9) for tomorrow’s breakfast.

Ice kacang ABC (RM5) –with a generous amount of toppings, this is a must try!



This is the Yang chow fried rice. To be frank, when this dish arrived I was shocked. “Such huge prawns and so much rice”, I thought. I tasted the fried rice and it was very delicious..and you know what? It only costs RM6.90.



Next I tried some chicken with salted fish porridge. Again, this claypot of porridge was a delightful surprise. With lots of shredded chicken, the porridge was way, way above average. For RM6.90 , it was indeed a steal!



The ostrich koay teow costs RM10. With tender pieces of ostrich and smooth textured koay teow, this noodle dish was indeed irresistible…Loved it!



This is the baby genting French beans we ordered so as to have a more balanced meal. RM12 for a huge plate of beans…and yummy ones too….excellent.



Although I did not manage to have pigeon soup that day, I left Sri Karak with a stomach filled with food and a deep sense of satisfaction….oh! AND did I say with a swiss roll in my hand too.
Address :
No. 17 Jalan 52/8,
Section 52,
Petaling Jaya.

Tel:+603- 7958 3280

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat (10am-10pm);

                             Sunday & Public Holidays  Lunch (11am-3pm), Dinner (6pm-10pm)

Visa and Mastercard accepted

GPS Coordinates: N3 05.979 E101 38.723


No comments:

Post a Comment