Sunday 2 March 2014

Yaowaraj Food & Drink , Chinatown Bangkok

I must say that I was  not surprised at all when I arrived at Bangkok’s Chinatown. I won’t elaborate but I think you will get what I mean when I say that it’s typical of any Chinatowns in the world J







Posh looking restaurants were seen along both sides of the extremely busy street but we settled for a more toned-down one (a.k.a simple eatery). What drew us to Yaowaraj was this gentleman who was manning a stall selling some snacks outside the eatery. We were told by a local Thai lady who spoke a fair amount of Mandarin that this was a very delicious snack and that we should try some. We asked the gentleman whether we could order some to be consumed with our dinner at Yaowaraj and he said it was alright.


So we had this and I must say it tasted surprisingly good. The sourish salty vegetables on top was a stark contrast from the bland white kuih at the bottom and this was certainly what made this yummy.






As fish maw is cheap and abundant in Bangkok, we ordered not one but two bowls of this soup. This soup was thick and slightly starchy but I can tell you it was excellent. We also had a simple wanton soup.





This is rice with basil and minced meat. The meat was very spicy but I can tell that it was cooked in very high flame, hence it was wonderfully  appetising.



This is the Chinatown version of stir fried mixed vegetables which had bean sprouts, choy sum, some black Chinese mushrooms and shredded cabbage. I am normally not ‘big’ on mixed vegetables but I found this dish to be delectable.

 
Spring roll

No comments:

Post a Comment